From 30th March, the computers in Computer Room 3 and H 1.9 (next to the Library), will be replaced with new machines, The standard suite of software applications will be installed, including Microsoft Office 2013 and the latest version of the RefWorks utility, Write-N-Cite 4.
For further details of these applications, please see below.
Write-N-Cite 4 for RefWorks
Write-N-Cite 4 is the latest version of this utility which runs within Word and allows you to insert citations into your document from your RefWorks database, generate a bibliography and format using a referencing style. The previous version, Write n Cite III, is not compatible with Word 2013. (Note that Write-N-Cite 4 is compatible with Word 2007, Word 2010 and Word 2013.)
Logging in to Write-N-Cite 4
- Open Word 2013
- Select ProQuest menu
- In the ProQuest / RefWorks ‘ribbon’ at the top of the screen , Click Log in – you will see the popup window below:
- Make sure that RefWorks is selected (as shown above – grey shading)
You now need to copy & paste Write-N-Cite 4 Login code from RefWorks to Login Code field as follows:
- Copy this Login code
- Return to Word and paste the Login code into the Login Code field
- Click Login
Once you are logged in – the ProQuest menu name changes to RefWorks, and in the ‘ribbon’ at the top of the screen, you will see the message ‘syncing data’. Write-N-Cite is downloading your RefWorks database of references to your Desktop. The features are inactive until the syncing has finished. This syncing shouldn’t take more than a minute or two.
Help for using Write-N-Cite 4
Using St George’s Harvard referencing style
To select this style (based on “Cite them Right” Pears & Shields, 9th ed., published 2013):
- In the RefWorks ribbon, click on the Style box drop down arrow
- Click Select Other style
- Select Harvard – FHSCE & SGUL
Moving between Write-N-Cite III & Write-N-Cite 4
- It is possible to edit Word documents created with Write-N-Cite III in Write-N-Cite 4. You will be prompted to convert the document on opening in Word when using Write-N-Cite 4
- It is also possible to edit Word documents created with Write-N-Cite 4 in Write-N-Cite III.
Using One-Line / Cite View to insert citations etc
If you are not able to use Write-N-Cite on your machine, you can use an alternative RefWorks feature, One Line / Cite View, which will also create citations in your paper and create bibliographies. More information here: http://proquest.libguides.com/refworks/writenciteFAQ#Q._Can_I_use_RefWorks_with_Microsoft_Word_without_installing_Write-N-Cite_