We hope you are enjoying your summer break as best as you can. Here are some changes we are making in August.
August opening hours
We have decided to extend our opening hours. The Library and computer room will now be open 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday. Space limitations and social distancing rules continue to apply. We have about 45 spaces in the Library and 19 computers available. The Library is available for silent study only. Please make use of the space careful and come in only when you have to. To find out more about how to use the Library safely, please have a look at our website. We post regular updates on our Twitter account.
Click and Collect book loans service
We have made a few changes to our current service provision in order to provide as much as we can within the limits of what is safe in the current environment.
From August, we are offering a ‘click and collect’ service to enable users to reserve print books from the library shelves and borrow them.
Please follow the steps below to reserve books. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To reserve books:
- Sign into Hunter. You will need your University username and password if you are a student or University staff. For students, you can reset your password yourself if you need to or contact email@example.com. For NHS staff, if you have trouble logging in, please call 020 8725 5466 Mon-Fri 10am – 4pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Search for the book you wish to reserve remembering to use the drop-down menu to change the search criteria to ‘books and more’.
- Once you have found the book you wish to reserve, click on ‘Check availability of print copies’.
- Select ‘place hold’. Have a look at our Place a Hold video for more information.
You will receive an email when the reserved item(s) become available. It may take up to 2 working days between placing your reservation and receiving the email informing you that your reservations are ready to collect.
You will have 7 days from the date of the email to collect your item(s).
To collect your books:
- Make sure you have your SGUL ID card with you.
- Please visit during staffed hours – Monday-Friday 10am-4pm.
- The books will be shelved in paper bags in front of Blossom the Jenner cow-skin inside the Library.
- The bag will have the last four digits of your ID (barcode) number and the first three letters of your surname written on it. The bags will be organised in alphabetical order.
- Collect your bag and use the self-service kiosks to borrow the items – they don’t need to be removed from the bag.
- Please sanitise/wash your hands and the self-service kiosks before and after use.
Points to note:
- You may only reserve ‘on-shelf’ items. Books currently on loan to other users are unable to be reserved at this time.
- Books will only be held for 7 days from the date of your email. After this time, they will be returned to the shelves and will have to be requested again if still needed.
- Library users cannot access our physical book collection themselves. You have to request any item you are interested in.
If you are NHS staff at St George’s, you can also request articles from our online collection and we will send it to you free of charge! To place a request and for more information, please have a look at our webpage.